Does your partner complain about your snoring? Don’t ignore it you are suffering from a disorder called Sleep Apnea. Those having no know how of medical terms will scream “What is it?” here I will explain about it , learn here what is sleep apnea, how to treat it and how to feel difference between usual snoring and apnea?
Sleep apnea pronounced as (ap-ne-ah) is a breathing disorder which happens in sleep. It is diagnosed when you have paused breathing during sleep and snores as a result. Breathing is interrupted and take pauses, these pauses occur for seconds to minutes. You are not aware of it until your bed partner get you realized. After the pause normal breathing again starts with a loud sound common man terms as Snort. This sound is similar to choking sound.
The pauses occur many times at night and as a consequence patient has restless sleep. Deep and soothing sleep helps you to spend whole day with positive energy while shallow and restless sleep which is a result of sleep apnea. Patients with diseases lost the beauty of active life as they have sleepless nights and sleepy days. Don’t feel jealous of lively, sharp and creative colleagues as they have spent last night in sound sleep and you were fighting with your unknown and ignored problem. Good quality of sleep is an important factor to spend a full energetic day. The fruit of sleep apnea is day time sleepiness and tiredness.
This is a chronic disease which means ongoing; once it starts it becomes a problem until it is treated.
Mainly it has three types,
- Obstructive sleep apnea: uvula (soft tissue in the back of throat) relaxes and sags whi causes the blockage of the airway during sleep
- Central sleep apnea: snoring is not only sign of sleep apnea, in central sleep apnea nervous system doesn’t send signals to muscles that help in breathing, in this type patient doesn’t snore.
- Complex sleep apnea: both above mentioned types when get combined it is called complex sleep apnea
This is often undiagnosed as no blood test can tell about it. People don’t bother it while it is worth bothering. Answer some questions,
- Do you snore loudly?
- Do you feel choking at night?
- Do you feel long pauses in breathing during sleep?
- Do you feel sleepiness in day after spending full night in bed?
- Do you feel moodiness, restlessness and irritation?
If your answer is yes, it is the time to go hospital and get it treated.
It is not so that everyone who snores has sleep apnea and we even cannot say all having sleep apnea snore. The difference between normal snoring and sleep apnea is that normal sleeping doesn’t affect your sleep quality while sleep apnea damages the sleep quality and leaves you restless during day time.
Children may also have this disease , so note down following things in your child
- Don’t pay attention?
- Has decreasing grades in school?
- Does he breathe through mouth instead of nostrils?
- Does he irritating?
Take these symptoms seriously as he may suffer from Sleep Apnea consult a doctor. Your doctor will advise you.
Bio: Julia is a freelance writer and has provides bipap machines to many hospitals, having strong interest in sleeping disorders she writes articles about sleep disorders as sleep apnea and has strong knowledge about sleep apnea devices. By reading her articles you may enlighten yourself by many sleeping disorders and technology to stop that.