In pursuance to the announcement of one hundred days agenda of HRD of ministry by Hon’ble Human Resources development Minister, a replacement Policy on Distance Learning In instruction Sector was written.
1. In terms of Entry sixty six of List one of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of Asian nation, Parliament is competent to form laws for the coordination and determination of standards in establishments for instruction for analysis, and scientific and technical establishments. Parliament has enacted laws for discharging this responsibility through: the University Grants Commission (UGC) for general instruction, the All Asian nation Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for Technical Education; and different Statutory bodies for different disciplines. As regards instruction, through the gap mode, solon National Open University (IGNOU) Act, 1985 was enacted with the subsequent 2 prime objectives, among others: (a) to produce opportunities for instruction to an oversized section of population, particularly deprived teams living in remote and rural areas, adults, housewives and dealing people; and (b) to encourage Open University and Distance Education Systems within the academic pattern of the country and to coordinate and confirm the standards in such systems.
2. The history of distance learning or education through distance mode in Asian nation, goes approach back once the schools started providing education through distance mode within the name of Correspondence Courses through their Directorate/School of Correspondence Education. In those days, the courses in humanities and/or in commerce were offered through correspondence and brought by those, who, attributable to numerous reasons, together with restricted range of seats in regular courses, employability, issues of access to the establishments of upper learning etc., couldn’t get themselves registered within the typical `face-to-face’ mode `in-class’ programmes.
3. within the recent past, the demand for instruction has increased staggeringly throughout the country thanks to awareness regarding the importance of upper education, whereas the system of upper education couldn’t accommodate this ever increasing demand.
4. below the circumstances, variety of establishments together with deemed universities, personal universities, public (Government) universities and even different establishments, that don’t seem to be sceptred to award degrees, have started cashing on matters by providing distance education programmes in an exceedingly sizable amount of disciplines, Starting from humanities to engineering and management etc., and at totally different levels (certificate to under-graduate and post-graduate degrees). there’s continuously a danger that a number of these establishments could become `degree mills’ providing sub- standard/poor quality education, consequently eating away the quality of degrees and different qualifications awarded through the gap mode. This demand a way higher degree of coordination among the involved statutory authorities, primarily, UGC, AICTE and IGNOU and its authority – the gap Education Council (DEC).
5. Government of Asian nation had processed its position in respect of recognition of degrees, attained through the gap mode, for employment under that vide Gazette Notification No. 44 dated 1.3.1995.
6. Despite the risks observed in para four higher than, the importance of distance education in providing quality education and coaching can’t be neglected. Distance Mode of education has a very important role for:
(i)providing chance of learning to those, World Health Organization don’t have direct access to face to face teaching, operating persons, house-wives etc.
(ii)providing chance to operating professionals to update their data, facultative them to switchover to new disciplines and professions and enhancing their qualifications for career advancement.
(iii)exploiting the potential of knowledge and Communication Technology (ICT) within the teaching and learning process; and
(iv)achieving the target of V-day of GER by the tip of eleventh arrange and 2 hundredth by the tip of twelfth 5 year arrange.
7. so as to discharge the Constitutional responsibility of determination and maintenance of the standards in instruction, by guaranteeing coordination among numerous statutory restrictive authorities as conjointly to confirm the promotion of open and distance education system within the country to fulfill the aspirations of all cross-sections of individuals for instruction, the subsequent policy in respect of distance learning is ordered down:
(a) so as to confirm correct coordination in regulation of standards of upper education in numerous disciplines through numerous modes [i.e. face to face and distance] as conjointly to confirm quality of degrees/diploma and certificates awarded by Indian Universities and different Education Institutes, associate degree apex body, namely, National Commission for instruction and analysis shall be established in line with the recommendations of academician. Yash Pal Committee/National data Commission. A commission on Open and Distance
Education of the aforesaid Commission, shall undertake the task of coordination, determination and maintenance of standards of education through the gap mode. unfinished institution of this body:
(i) solely those programmes, that don’t involve intensive sensible course work, shall be permissible through the gap mode.
(ii) Universities / establishments shall frame ordinances / laws / rules, because the case could also be, writing system out the define of the programmes to be offered through the gap mode indicating the amount of needed credits, list of courses with assigned credits, reading references additionally to self learning material, hours of study, contact categories at study centres, assignments, examination and analysis method, grading etc.
(iii) DEC of IGNOU shall solely assess the competency of university/institute in respect of conducting distance education programmes by a team of specialists, whose report shall be placed before the Council of DEC for thought.
(iv) The approval shall tend solely when thought by Council of DEC and not by chairwoman, DEC. For the aim, minimum range of necessary conferences of DEC could also be prescribed.
(v) AICTE would be directed below section twenty (1) of AICTE Act 1987 to confirm certification of the programmes in pc Sciences, data Technology associate degreed Management purposed to be offered by an institute/university through the gap mode, by National Board of certification (NBA).
(vi) UGC and AICTE would be directed below section twenty (1) of their individual Acts to border careful laws prescribing standards for numerous programmes/courses, offered through the gap mode below their mandate,
(vii) No university/institute, except the schools established by or below associate degree Act of Parliament/State assembly before 1985, shall provide any programme through the gap mode, henceforth, while not approval from DEC and certification by NBA. However, the universities/institutions already providing programmes in Humanities, Commerce/Business/Social Sciences/Computer Sciences and data Technology and Management, could also be allowed to continue, subject to the condition to get recent approval from DEC and certification from NBA inside one year, failing that they shall ought to discontinue the programme and also the entire worry with relation to the tutorial career and money losses of the scholars registered with them, shall get on such institutions/universities.
(viii) In lightweight of observation of Apex Court, ex-post-facto approval granted by any authority for distance education shall not be honored and granted henceforward. However, the schools established by or below associate degree Act of education programmes within the streams of Humanities/Commerce/Social Sciences before the year 1991 shall be excluded from this policy.
(ix) the scholars World Health Organization are awarded degrees through distance mode by the schools while not taking previous approval of DEC and different statutory bodies, shall tend one likelihood, provided they fulfil the necessity of minimum standards as prescribed by the UGC, AICTE or the other relevant Statutory Authority through Regulation, to look in examinations in such papers as set by the university selected to conduct the examination. If these students qualify during this examination, the university involved shall issue a certificate. The degree at the side of the aforesaid qualifying certificate could also be recognised for the aim of employment/promotion below Central Government.
(x) A clarification shall be issued with respect to Gazette Notification No. 44 dated 1.3.1995 that it shall not be applicable on to the degrees/diplomas awarded by the schools established by or below associate degree Act of Parliament or State assembly before 1985, within the streams of Humanities/Commerce and Social Sciences.
(xi) The policy initiatives Triticum aestivum spelta enter succeeding paragraphs shall be equally applicable to establishments providing distance education/intending to supply distance education.
(b) All universities and establishments providing programmes through the gap mode shall got to have previous recognition/approval for providing such programmes and certification from selected competent authority, obligatorily in respect of the programmes offered by them. The violators of this shall be accountable for acceptable penalty as prescribed by law. The universities/institutions providing education through distance mode and located concerned in cheating of students/people by giving wrong/false data or willfully suppressing the knowledge shall even be prohibited strictly below the penal provisions of law.
(c) the schools / institutes shall have their own study centres for face to face content and removal of difficulties as conjointly to hunt different tutorial and body help. Franchising of distance education by any university, establishments whether or not public or personal shall not be allowed.
(d ) the schools /institutions shall solely provide such programmes through distance mode that square measure on provide on their campuses through typical mode. Just in case of open universities, they shall essentially have the desired departments and colleges before providing relevant programmes through distance mode.
(e) it’d be necessary for all universities and education establishments providing distance education to use data and Communication Technology (ICT) in delivery of their programmes, management of the coed and university affairs through an online portal or the other such platform. The aforesaid platform shall invariably, show publically domain, regarding the statutory and different approvals at the side of different necessary information regarding the programmes on provide through distance mode, their certification and students registered, year- wise, etc. This might be joined to a national info, as and once created, to facilitate the stakeholders to require a read on the popularity of the degrees for the aim of educational pursuit or employment with/under them.
(f) All universities/education establishments shall build optimum use of e-learning contents for delivery/offering their programmes through distance mode. They shall even be encouraged/required to adopt e-surveillance technology for conduct of unpolluted, honest and clear examinations.
(g) the main focus of distance education shall be to produce chance of education to individuals at educationally deprived things like living in remote and rural areas, adults with no or restricted access to education of their alternative etc.
(h) so as to push versatile and want based mostly learning, choice-based system shall be promoted and every one lyric establishments shall be inspired to adopt this method and evolve a mechanism for acceptance and transfer of credits of the courses with success completed by students in face-to-face or distance mode. For the aim, institution of a credit bank could also be thought-about. Similarly, typical universities, providing face to face mode programmes shall be inspired to just accept the credits attained by the scholars through distance mode. A turn from annual to semester system shall be essential.
(i) Convergence of the face-to-face mode teaching departments of typical universities with their distance education directorates/correspondence course wings as conjointly with open universities/institutions providing distance education, shall be affected upon to bridge the gap in distance and standard face-to-face mode of education.
(j) putative Foreign education suppliers well established, recognized and authorized by competent authority in their country and willing to supply their education programmes in Asian nation shall be allowed, subject to the fulfillment of the legal demand of the country.
(k) A National data and Communication Technology infrastructure for networking of lyric establishments shall be created below National Mission on Education through data and Communication Technology.
(l) Efforts would be created to make favourable surroundings for analysis in Open and Distance Education (ODE) system by putting in infrastructure like e- libraries, digital data-base, on-line journals, holding regular workshops, seminars etc.
(m) coaching and orientation programmes for educators and directors in lyric system with specialise in use of ICT and self-learning apply, shall be inspired.
(n) lyric establishments shall be inspired to require care the academic desires of learners with disabilities and senior voters.
(o) a political candidate notification instructive the problem of recognition of educational qualification, attained through distance mode, for the aim of employment, shall be issued.
(p) A mechanism shall be discovered for analysis of degrees of foreign universities for the aim of educational pursuit still as for employment below the Central Government. this might embody the assessment of the credentials of the university involved as conjointly to check the competency of the degree holder, if needed.