Electricity provides numerous benefits to our lives, increasing both day to day comfort and happiness. But along with all of its benefits, electricity also carries large risks. Electrocution can cause serious health risks, and even death. Read on for the short-term and long-term dangers of electrocution, as well as how you can avoid electrocution in your home or place of business.
Short-Term Risks of Electrocution
Being electrocuted or receiving an electrical shock will differ in severity depending upon the strength of the current of the electricity at the time it enters the body. The strength of the current changes depending upon the voltage, the amperage, and the pathway that the current follows through the body to the ground. For example, if a person is wearing rubber shoes when he comes in contact with electrical current, the shoes can provide resistance to the ground, which can reduce the severity of electrocution. Because of the differences in amperage and voltage, the short-term side effects of electrocution also vary greatly, and can include anything from no feeling whatsoever, the feeling of a slight painful shock, or extreme pain, burns, and temporary paralysis. Most electrocution that only has minimal immediate side effects, such as temporary discomfort or pain, will not pose any serious long-term health consequences. However, if you’ve received a painful shock, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Long-Term Risks of Electrocution
Electrocution that is painful, results in burning, causes paralysis, or lasts for an extended period of time is much more serious. If a person comes in contact with a voltage level of more than five hundred volts, they can experience burns that will require painful medical treatment and can be disfiguring. Additionally, voltage of this level can cause ventricular fibrillation, in which the heart begins to contract sporadically and can result in cardiac arrest or heart attack. There are also long-term neurological effects associated with electrocution. Most commonly, neurological consequences of electrocution include a negative impact to speech, spatial recognition, memory problems, and learning disabilities.
Avoiding Electrocution at Your Home or Office
In most cases, electrocution can be avoiding by exercising proper precaution when working with or around electricity. Here are some basic tips you should incorporate and discuss with your family members to help avoid electrocution.
Never Use Electricity Around Water
If there is running or still water in your kitchen or bathroom, make sure that all appliances are unplugged or are kept far away from the water source. If electricity comes in contact with water, you will be electrocuted.
Utilize Three-Pronged Plugs
The point of a three-pronged plug is to provide a pathway to the ground for which the electrical current can travel. When the third prong is absent, you, or the person plugging in the appliance, can become the pathway to the ground, resulting in electrocution. If your home or office’s outlets aren’t made for three-pronged plugs, call an electrician to come out and perform some rewiring.
Don’t Overload Your Outlets
Plugging in too many things at once in your home can cause a power surge, which can result in electrocution. If you have a lot of appliances in your home, invest in using a surge protector, and unplug items that aren’t in use don’t just turn them off.
Keep Equipment Up-To-Date
With age, old appliances and cords can deteriorate, causing holes or tears in the cords. Use electrician’s tape to repair any cords that are looking warn, or replace your old appliances if the cords don’t look salvageable.
Call an Electrician
If you’re unsure about the safety of an appliance, cord, outlet, or other source of electricity in your home, call an electrician to check it out.
This article was written by Travis Guerrero, a health and nutrition expert who hopes to help you have a healthier life. He writes this on behalf of Battery Plex, your number one choice when looking for safe, strong and dependable batteries. Check out their website today and see how they can help you!